Executive Member - Recreation and Heritage Item 2
21 September 2005
Current Developments in Information and Lifelong Learning Services
Report of the Director of Recreation and Heritage
Contact: Richard Ward ext. 8 326 6621 e-mail: richard.ward @hants.gov.uk
1.1 The following decisions are sought:
i. That the integration of the displays of reference and lending stocks where appropriate is supported
ii. That the policy on the display of information through exhibitions, leaflets and posters in Hampshire's Libraries is confirmed.
2.1 The first recommendation is part of modernising the library service by making it more relevant to the needs of existing and potential users.
The second recommendation is to concerned with maintaining the library service's reputation as a provider of unbiased and neutral information.
2.2 The decisions are aimed at improving the library service and providing greater opportunity for lifelong learning, and support Aim 1, (Maximising life opportunities), Aim 4 (Building strong and safe communities) and Aim 5 (Improving services).
3. Other Options Considered and Rejected.
- To maintain the traditional artificial division of books into "reference"
- To allow a "free for all" or "first come, first served" approach to
displaying posters and leaflets.
4. Conflicts of interest declared by the decision maker or other Executive Member consulted.
5. Dispensation by the Standards Committee
6. Reasons for the matter being dealt with if urgent.
Approved by: Date:
Councillor Mrs M Snaith