Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 1 - Beauworth

Previous volume (Volume 13, Page 67) Previous volume (Volume 13, Page 67) Next page (Volume 1, Page 3) Next page (Volume 1, Page 3)

Beauworth became a separate parish in February 1879, being formerly a tithing in the south-east corner of Cheriton Parish. In 1888 part of Kilmeston Parish was added to Beauworth, bringing its total area up to 1,508 acres.

As part of Cheriton, Beauworth probably witnessed scenes associated with the Battle of Cheriton in March 1644 during the Civil War. The modern parish lies immediately south of Cheriton and eight miles south east of Alresford. It is situated on a sweep of high ground which affords fine views of the surrounding countryside; the area is mainly agricultural with less than fifty dwellings.

An early church building fell into decay and finally became ruined, and so the modern church of St. James was built in 1838. The only inn of the parish is the Fox and Hounds, situated a mile south of the village which has a well said to be 365 feet deep.

Water is drawn by means of a treadwheel worked by manpower instead of a donkey; this is one of the very few of its kind in the country.

Beauworth's chief claim to fame is the horde of 6,000 coins dating from the time of William the Conqueror and William Rufus. The coins were found in 1833 by boys playing near the village pond, which has since disappeared. The coins were in mint condition and were thought to have been buried on purpose; some are now in the British Museum and some in Alresford Museum.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Beauworth.

Previous volume (Volume 13, Page 67) Previous volume (Volume 13, Page 67) Next page (Volume 1, Page 3) Next page (Volume 1, Page 3)