Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 8 - Bighton

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 7) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 7) Next page (Volume 1, Page 9) Next page (Volume 1, Page 9)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Inn
C.18
The Three Horse Shoes. 2-storey building in colour- washed brick with old tile roof. Flanking chimneys.     SU 614 344
2603 05
Cottage
C.19
The Coffee Tavern. Situated on the north east corner of Bighton Dean Lane. Constructed of flint with brick dressings and thatched roof, hipped except over central gable.     SU 617 345
2603 07
Donkey Wheel
C.19
Bighton House. Located in a Regency garden house to the east of the Manor House. The Donkey Wheel, 12ft. in diameter by 4ft. wide, is carried on a shaft mounted on the wall on either side of the building. The main spokes are slotted and halved inton the shaft and carry subsiduary spokes. The shaft carries a barrel-shaped drum 3ft. 4ins. in diameter on which the two bucket ropes were wound. The wheel and double pulleys date from the 1820's. Ref: 1 Water Raising by Animal Power. 1977 (Brunner and Major), p 129. Ref: 2 Industrial Archaelolgy. Vol. 9 No. 2 1972.     SU 624 356
2603 17
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 7) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 7) Next page (Volume 1, Page 9) Next page (Volume 1, Page 9)