Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 16 - Bishops Waltham

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 15) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 15) Next page (Volume 1, Page 17) Next page (Volume 1, Page 17)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Disc Barrow
North of A.333 near Ashton Lane, located by aerial photography. O.S.A. No. SU51 NW4.     SU 540 185
1901 103
Roman
Tile Kiln (Site)
Under pasture for many years. Clays near line of road. O.S.A. No. SU51 NW6.     SU 549 163
1901 104
Kiln (Site)
Lock's Farm. Excavated 1949 and 1952. Tiles still in evidence, now under pasture. O.S.A. No. SU51 NW7.     SU 549 163
1901 105
Coin Hoard
Opposite Forest Farm, Waltham Chase. Found 1822. Large pot contained gold, silver and bronze Roman coins. O.S.A. No SU51 NE13. Ref: V.C.H. Vol. 1. 1900, p. 309.     SU 560 163
1901 102
Coin (Find)
Roman coin of Philip (244-249) A.D. O.S.A. No. SU51 NE 10.     SU 550 170
1901 101
Coin (Find)
Prior to 1910. O.S.A. No. SU51 NE5.     SU 553 185
1901 98
Coin (Find)
Evidence of Roman building on this site. O.S.A. No. SU51 NE4.     SU 553 186
1901 97
Period Unknown
Park Lug
Large roughly circular park marked by bank to west, and bank and ditch to east and south. Possibly of Saxon date. Likely that park equals the land passed to Bishop of Winchester in 904 A.D. in exchange for land at Porchester. Grid references for north and south points. Ref: 1. District Archaeologist. Ref: 2. P.H.F.C. Vol. 28, 1971.     SU 550 185
1901 149
Group C - Footpaths, Bridleways and Old Travelways
Footpath
Shipcote Lane - Beeches Hill (Wooded dell on north side of path, private).     SU 556 188
1901 116
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Base of Carved Celtic Cross
St. Peter's Churchyard. Now removed to Winchester City Museum.     SU 555 176
1901 135
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 15) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 15) Next page (Volume 1, Page 17) Next page (Volume 1, Page 17)