Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 22 - Bishops Waltham

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 21) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 21) Next page (Volume 1, Page 23) Next page (Volume 1, Page 23)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.18
11, Lower Basingwell Street. 2 storeys. Tiled roof. Painted brick structure. Doorway up seven steps with handrail. 6-panel door with pediment over. Casement windows.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 554 174
1901 10
Building
C.18
Austin and Wyatt, St. Georges Square. Georgian facade of grey headers with red brick quoins and cornice. Tiled roof. Doorway with pilasters, pediment and fanlight. Half-timbered at rear.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 553 173
1901 20
Building
C.18
Stubbs and Sons, Houchin Street/St. Georges Square. 2 storeys. Rendered Georgian frontage, hipped tiled roof. Formerly King's Head Inn. Doorway up seven steps with pilasters and hood.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 553 173
1901 18
Building
C.18
Old Telephone Exchange, Bank Street. Rain water head. Georgian facade with parapet. 2 storeys and attic. Tiled roof with three dormers.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 554 175
1901 03
House
C.18
North House, St. Peter's Street. 2 storeys and attic. Tiled roof with three dormers. Faced with Roman cement. Regency porch. Doorway with pediment, and 6-panel door.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 554 176
1901 21
Shop and House
C.18
Freemantle, St. Georges Street. 3-gabled facade. Timber-framed with plaster infill. Modern shop front added. Casement windows.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 553 173
1901 19
Building
C.18
Barclay's Bank, St. Georges Square/High Street. Rendered Georgian facade with parapet. Doorway with columns and parapet. Sculptured head of Bishop over kitchen fireplace. Windows with segmental heads. This was Gunners Bank, the last private 'Country' bank in England.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 553 174
1901 17
Inn
C.18
The Crown Hotel, St. Georges Square. Timber- framed, refaced with stucco. Tiled roof. Sash and casement windows. Large C.19 addition. Rear of building faced with red brick and tile hanging, has three gables.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 553 173
1901 66
Engine House
C.19
Claylands Road. Built 1862. Original pottery shed of B. W. Clay Co.     SU 547 178
1901 138
Lime Works
C.19
Garfield Road. Built 1863. Building contains three lime-burning kilns and a loading shed. Railway line runs into shed and is still visible.     SU 553 179
1901 137
Residence and Offices
C.19
Gunner and Son, Bank Street. Originally three houses. 2 storeys. Faced with cement. East house of white brick. Slate roof. Timber framing at rear.     C.A.
SU 555 175
1901 33
Mill
C.19
Abbey Mill. Originally a flour mill. Brick building of six floors. Wheel pit remains. Adjacent to large mill pond. Shown on map prior to 1867-8. No trace of previous buildings. Ref: P.H.F.C. Vol. 25, 1968.     C.A.
SU 550 173
1901 93
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 21) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 21) Next page (Volume 1, Page 23) Next page (Volume 1, Page 23)