Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 51 - Colden Common

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 50) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 50) Next page (Volume 1, Page 53) Next page (Volume 1, Page 53)

The Hundred of Chilcomb, which belonged to the Old Minster at Winchester in the late Saxon times, was comprised of Chilcomb and nine other villages near Winchester together with land at Chilbolton and Nursling, near Southampton; making in all a total of 100 hides. Later the hundred become known as Fawley Hundred from its meeting place on Fawley Down. At the time of the Domesday Survey, Chilcomb was held by the Bishop of Winchester. The lands included Winnall, Morestead, St. Faith, Compton, Weeke, Littleton and Sparsholt as well as Chilcomb. The Manor of Chilcomb, together with various other manors and lands, remained in the possession of the prior and monks of St. Swithun's, Winchester, until the dissolution of the monasteries. The manor was then granted to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester Cathedral, but passed into private hands about 1893.

The modern Parish of Chilcomb dates from the local government re-organisation of 1894, when part of the old parish was annexed to Winchester. The housing estate at Highcliffe below St. Giles' Hill became a suburb of Winchester, while the old-world village of Chilcomb remains a rural haven.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Colden Common.

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 50) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 50) Next page (Volume 1, Page 53) Next page (Volume 1, Page 53)