Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 54 - Colden Common

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 53) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 53) Next page (Volume 1, Page 55) Next page (Volume 1, Page 55)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Cottage
C.17/18
Woodcroft Cottage. 2 storeys and attic, pebbledash over brick, hipped old tile roof. It is suggested that this was the site of an inn from Domesday times. In the early 1900's it was used as two cottages. The gardener's and chauffeur's accommodation for Brambridge Lodge nearby.     SU 474 214
2610 02
House
C.18
The Manor House, formerly a manor farm, previously called Colden Farmhouse. 2 storeys, flint and brick. Hipped old tile roof. It is suggested this building, with Marwell Hall and Twyford Manor were built incorporating some of the stones from the dissolved Marwell Abbey. There are numerous carved stones in the structure that would suggest ecclesiastical origin.     SU 483 221
2610 07
House
C.18
The Malt House, Main Road. 2 storeys, brick, old tile roof, hipped at one end. It is a long house, originally there were no windows on the south or west. The underground cellar extends into the garden. Was owned by the Young family as a brewery house until C.19.     SU 479 227
2610 09
Farm
C.18
Elm Farm. A small farm 250yds. north north east of Kennels Farm on west side of road. 2 storeys of colourwashed brick. Half-hipped old tile roof. The interior has a wealth of ships' timbers as beams and an unusually wide main staircase. A well now under the kitchen floor was used for water until 1957. Builders' plaque over main door bears date 1719.     SU 495 221
2610 06
Farm House
C.18
The Malt House, Hensting Lane. 2 storeys, colourwashed brick, dentil eaves. Hipped roof carried down at sides. Beer was brewed and sold here until 30 years ago. Restoration began five years ago saving original walls, bread oven and uncovering original beams.     SU 495 221
2610 05
House
C.18/19
The Moors. 2 storeys, brick with moulded and dentil eaves. Hipped old tile roof. 6-panelled central door, flush type, in lattice porch.     SU 477 229
2610 08
House
C.18/19
Brambridge House. Dated about 1763 but partly burnt out and rebuilt 1872. 3-storey, stucco building. The main part has a 5-bay centre flanked by short wings each of two bays and with a Doric loggia across the ground floor with fluted columns and entablature. The house was built by the Smythe family of whom Maria Smythe became Mrs Fitzherbert. Ref: Historical novels by Jean Plaidy.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 468 223
2610 03
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 53) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 53) Next page (Volume 1, Page 55) Next page (Volume 1, Page 55)