Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 55 - Compton

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 54) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 54) Next page (Volume 1, Page 57) Next page (Volume 1, Page 57)

Compton formed part of Chilcomb when it was granted to the minster at Winchester by King Edward in 908. Compton is not listed separately in the Domesday Book but was included with Chilcomb. The Manor of Compton Wasseling was first mentioned in 1250 as belonging to the Wasseling family, but later passed into the de Thorncombe and Philpot families.

John Philpot, Sheriff of Hampshire in 1460, left the manor to trustees for a number of years when he died in 1484; he ordered the trustees to build a chapel to the Holy Trinity and the Virgin Mary at the east end of Compton Parish Church. John Philpot and his wife Mary were to be buried there and a memorial erected to them and their seventeen children. Later members of the Philpot family were sheriffs of Hampshire in the sixteenth century, but in 1640 George Philpot sold the manor to Sir Benjamin Tichborne.

The property remained in the Tichborne family for about eighty years before it passed to the Worsley family of Appuldurcombe, who sold it in 1722 to William Heathcote of Hursley, in whose family it remained until 1890.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Compton.

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 54) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 54) Next page (Volume 1, Page 57) Next page (Volume 1, Page 57)