Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 63 - Corhampton and Meonstoke

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 61) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 61) Next page (Volume 1, Page 65) Next page (Volume 1, Page 65)

Originally two separate parishes, Corhampton and Meonstoke were brought together into one civil parish in 1932. Corhampton was called Quedementune in the Domesday Book, where it was listed under Hugh de Port's possessions. Several manors have been identified in the Parish of Corhampton; Cleverly, Preshaw and a sub manor. The main Manor of Corhampton was held by the de Clare family in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. In 1289 Gilbert de Clare married Joan de Acres, the king's daughter; when Gilbert died in 1295 Joan secretly married Ralph de Monthermer who was a mere squire. This angered the king, who imprisoned Ralph in Bristol Castle, but he later relented and granted Ralph the Manor of Corhampton until Gilbert, the rightful heir, came of age. From the fourteenth to the sixteenth century the Staffords were Lords of the Manor until it was sold to the Hanbury family. In 1599 Queen Elizabeth sold the Crown Lands in the manor to Thomas Hanbury, in whose family it remained until 1655.

The sub-manor of Corhampton was originally held by the de Corhampton family, but was sold to Peter des Roches, Bishop of Winchester, who granted the land to Titchfield Abbey which he had founded in 1232. The Abbey was dissolved in 1537 and the manor was granted to Thomas Wriothesley, whose heirs conveyed it later to the Collins family.

Meonstoke belonged to Edward the Confessor before the Norman Conquest, and was listed in the Domesday Book as part of the Ancient Demesne of the Crown. In the thirteenth century the manor was split into three parts; Meonstoke Walerund (later Meonstoke Perrers), Meonstoke Ferrand, and Meonstoke Tour. The three parts were later brought together by William of Wykeham, who conveyed the land to his newly-founded College at Winchester in the late fourteenth century.

The church at Corhampton is one of the best preserved late Saxon churches in the county; two of its architectural features being the chancel arch and the Saxon sundial, to the east of the south door way.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Corhampton and Meonstoke.

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 61) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 61) Next page (Volume 1, Page 65) Next page (Volume 1, Page 65)