Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 73 - Crawley

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 71) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 71) Next page (Volume 1, Page 75) Next page (Volume 1, Page 75)

Originally known as Crawanlea, "glade of the crows", the Manor of Crawley was granted to Frithestan, Bishop of Winchester, by King Edward the Elder in 909. The Domesday Book lists the Bishop of Winchester holding the manor in demesne, with a tenant called Hugh. A dramatic episode occurred in 1274 when the Sheriff of Hampshire seized herds of cattle and sheep in lieu of payment which the bishop had failed to make to the king. The bishop complained that five horses, 43 cattle and 350 sheep had been driven from Crawley to Winchester and impounded for two nights in Winchester Castle. As a result of the bishop's complaint the sheriff was ordered to release the animals on condition that the bishop gave security for the payment of the money.

The Manor of Crawley remained part of the property of the bishopric until the Commonwealth period. In 1648 Crawley was included in the sale of episcopal possessions, and was sold to John Pigeon. At the Restoration the manor reverted to the bishop, being taken over by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1869.

The old Crawley Court in the village of Crawley was pulled down by Adam Kennard in the 1870's and a new building, in the grounds but not on the same site, was designed by Pepys Cockerill in Elizabeth-Jacobean style. This house was demolished in the early 1970's to make way for the new I.B.A. building.

During the last century many of the cottages in Crawley village were bought by Kennard, a London banker who became High Sheriff of Hampshire in 1885. In 1900 Kennard sold out to Otto Ernst Philippi from Hamburg, who modernised most of the cottages by putting in wooden floors, providing more windows and improving the dwellings to modern standards.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Crawley.

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 71) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 71) Next page (Volume 1, Page 75) Next page (Volume 1, Page 75)