Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 79 - Curdridge

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 78) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 78) Next page (Volume 1, Page 81) Next page (Volume 1, Page 81)

Curdridge, formerly a tithing, is a small parish created in the 1894 Local Government Reorganisation out of the Parish of Bishop's Waltham. It is a small village made up of scattered cottages, Victorian villas and a certain amount of more modern building.

St. Peter's Church, built of flint and stone with a large half timbered porch, was designed by Sir Thomas Jackson and built in 1887-8. The tower was added in 1894.

Fairthorne Manor, formerly in the Bishop's Waltham Parish, now comes under the Parish of Curdridge. In fact it was probably nothing more than an estate included in the Bishop's Waltham Manor, and the land is first traced to 1296 when it was acquired by William de la Hulle. It enjoyed a fairly rapid change of owners, who included the de Overtons, the Serle family and the Wriothesleys. In 1806 it was purchased as Fairthorne Farm by William Cobbett.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Curdridge.

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 78) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 78) Next page (Volume 1, Page 81) Next page (Volume 1, Page 81)