Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 85 - Denmead

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 83) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 83) Next page (Volume 1, Page 87) Next page (Volume 1, Page 87)

Denmead is a modern civil parish created in 1932 out of the southern end of Hambledon Parish.

In 1316, Denmead was in the hands of the Bishop of Winchester, who evidently leased it to a variety of tenants. It was first called a manor as such in 1449, when it was held by William Wayte. On the death of William's grandson, the Wayte lands were divided amongst various members of the family , and Denmead fell to Eleanor and Richard Bruning, after whom the property was further divided and part fell to the Perkin and Wollascot families. After this the property changed ownership frequently until 1831 when Henry Kennett was in possession. There was no further mention of Denmead Manor until 1908, when the Ecclesiastical Commissioners were apparently Lords of the Manor.

Denmead was once a widely scattered village but has now been extensively infilled with modern property. The church of All Saints was built in 1880 and is of flint with brick and stone dressings.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Denmead.

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 83) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 83) Next page (Volume 1, Page 87) Next page (Volume 1, Page 87)