Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 93 - Droxford

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 92) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 92) Next page (Volume 1, Page 95) Next page (Volume 1, Page 95)

The first grant of the land of the Manor of Droxford, or Drocenesforda, was in 826 from King Egbert to the Prior and monks of St. Swithun, Winchester. At Domesday it was among the lands held by the bishop for the support of the monks of Winchester, but this was not a peaceful arrangement and after many quarrels with the bishops the monks finally renounced all claim they ever had to the manor in 1284. The property remained with the bishops of Winchester until 1551 when Bishop Poynet surrendered it to the crown and it was passed on to the Earl of Wiltshire. However, in 1558 Queen Mary restored it to the bishop, and the bishopric retained the manor until the Civil War. The Long Parliament found a purchaser in Francis Allen but on the Restoration the bishops once again recovered their possessions. Droxford remained attached to the lands of Winchester See until the Bishops' Resignation Act of 1869, when it passed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

The church of St. Mary and all Saints is a typical Hampshire village church with work of many periods, the earliest belonging to the twelfth century. A former rector of Droxford, Dr. Hawkins, who held the office from 1664 to 1691, was son-in-law of the celebrated Izaak Walton.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Droxford.

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 92) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 92) Next page (Volume 1, Page 95) Next page (Volume 1, Page 95)