Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 145 - Itchen Stoke and Ovington

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 144) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 144) Next page (Volume 1, Page 146) Next page (Volume 1, Page 146)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Post Norman
Church Ruins
St. Peter's Church, Ovington. The remains of the west door of the old church of St. Peter's stand in the present churchyard. O.S.A. No. SU53 SE7. Ref: V.C.H., Vol. 1, p.331.     SU 560 316
2619 35
Mediaeval Church (Site)
Abbotstone. Forms part of mediaeval village site on road to New Alresford. Possibly built of flint withtileroof. It was called St. Martin's in the will of Nicholas Clapsho (1505). Ref: 1. Will of Nicholas Clapsho (1505). London Probate Registry, 39 Holgrave. Ref: 2. P.H.F.C. Newsletter. Sept. 1975. The mediaeval church of St. Martyn's Abbotstone. (Sanderson).     S.A.M. No. 262
SU 566 344
2619 06
Mediaeval Village (Site)
Abbotstone. Situated on either side of road to New Alresford. The site contains grassy mounds and part of a pasture field. In the lay subsidy returns of 1327, 18 villagers' homes were noted. Hundred = Bountis Borough. O.S.A. No. SU53 SE8. Ref: 1. Public Records Office. Lay Subsidy Rolls, 1327. E179/163/4. Ref: 2. V.C.H., Vol. 4, pp.192-5. Ref: 3. Lost Villages of England, (Beresford), p.352. Ref: 4. A.S.P.'s C.A. 046 049 and A.P./88-9, (St Joseph). Ref: 5. P.H.F.C., 1971. Abbotstone: A deserted mediaeval village. (Sanderson). Ref: 6. Deserted Mediaeval Villages. (Beresford and Hurst).     S.A.M. No. 262
SU 568 344
2619 05
Period Unknown
Enclosure
Ovington Down Farm. Little is known of this site at present.     SU 546 286
2619 38
Group C - Footpaths, Bridleways and Old Travelways
Old Sheep Drove
Runs south west of Abbotstone, from Alresford across Itchen Stoke Down. Now a public right of way.     SU 557 342
2619 09
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Cottage
C.17
The Shallows, Water Lane. 2-storey, timber- frame cottage with brick infilling. Thatched roof. Irregular windows on ground floor. East gable has 3-light leaded upper window.     SU 558 323
2619 12
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 144) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 144) Next page (Volume 1, Page 146) Next page (Volume 1, Page 146)