Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 163 - Kilmeston

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 161) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 161) Next page (Volume 1, Page 165) Next page (Volume 1, Page 165)

Kilmeston was first mentioned in a grant of land by King Edgar in 961: the land was later given to St. Peter's Church at Winchester. The Domesday Book lists Kilmeston as belonging to the bishop but divided equally into two manors, one held by Edred and the other by Godwin. The manors were later known by the names of the families who held them.

Kilmeston Plunkenet was granted to the de la Bere family by the bishop, but it descended to the de Plunkenet family in about 1230. The manor later passed to the Woodlock family, who held it during the fourteenth century. By the early sixteenth century the manor had been split in two, one part being held by the Skilling family and the other by the Bengers. The Skillings sold their portion in 1605 to William Lacie, who already held the other Manor of Kilmeston known as Kilmeston Gymming. The Benger family held the other part of Kilmeston Plunkenet until the mid-sixteenth century when it passed by marriage into the White family, who held the Manor of Southwick near Portsmouth.

Kilmeston Gymming was granted to the Gymming family in the thirteenth century, but the manor later passed to the provosts of St. Elizabeth's Chapel, Winchester, with whom it remained until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. In 1544 the manor was granted to Thomas Wriothesley who conveyed it to Anthony Cope: the land was later passed to John Tichbourne and finally to the Lacie family, who held the estate for 160 years. The land was then merged with the other Manor of Kilmeston Plunkenet.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Kilmeston.

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 161) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 161) Next page (Volume 1, Page 165) Next page (Volume 1, Page 165)