Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 175 - Littleton

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 174) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 174) Next page (Volume 1, Page 177) Next page (Volume 1, Page 177)

The Parish of Littleton in the ancient Hundred of Buddlesgate is thought to be one of the many lands included with Chilcomb in King Cynegils' grant to the minster at Winchester in the seventh century. The Church of St. Catherine was recorded in the Domesday Book as one of nine churches in the Chilcomb grant of land. In 1205 the Pope confirmed the charters which granted the land to Winchester Cathedral, and in a papal charter of 1243 the Manor of Littleton is identified for the first time. The church of St. Catherine is listed in William of Wykeham's register of the fourteenth century.

During the Middle Ages sheep farming was a main source of prosperity for the parish, the yearly receipts for wool reaching £15 13s 1d. The Black Death of the fourteenth century caused many deaths in the parish and several rents were unpaid in 1364. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries the Manor of Littleton passed to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester Cathedral.

In the mid 1960's a large portion of the parish near its boundary with the City of Winchester was developed as the housing estate of Harestock.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Littleton.

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 174) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 174) Next page (Volume 1, Page 177) Next page (Volume 1, Page 177)