Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 179 - Micheldever

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 178) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 178) Next page (Volume 1, Page 181) Next page (Volume 1, Page 181)

The Parish of Micheldever is believed to have been a royal estate in Saxon times as it was included in landsgranted to the New Minster, Winchester, by Edward the Elder under the will of his father, King Alfred. In 904 other lands were included in the grant, together with a fishery on the borders of Worthy, which helped support the abbey refectory, especially when large amounts of fish were needed during Lent. Ethelred the Unready confirmed the abbey charter circa 984. In the Domesday Book the Manor of Micheldever was assessed at 83 hides, and several of the Norman barons were sub tenants. Conflicts of ownership occurred in the thirteenth century, and finally the manorial lands were split up into numerous small plots held from the Abbot of Hyde Abbey.

At the Dissolution of the Monasteries the manor fell into the king's hands and was bought by ThomasWriothesley in 1544. It remained with the Earls of Southampton and their descendents until sold in 1801 to Sir Francis Baring. Sir Thomas Baring was created a baron in 1866 and chose the title Baron Northbrook from the name of a tithing in the Parish of Micheldever.

In the widespread agricultural riots of 1830 and 1831, Henry Cook, a local Micheldever labouring lad, took part in a skirmish and knocked Justice Bingham Baring's hat off. Cook was tried for attempted murder at Winchester, and subsequently hanged as an example to the others. His body was brought back to Micheldever by the sorrowing villagers and was buried in the church yard; it is said that snow never settles on his grave, but the site of his grave has now been lost.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Micheldever.

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 178) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 178) Next page (Volume 1, Page 181) Next page (Volume 1, Page 181)