Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 195 - New Alresford

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 193) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 193) Next page (Volume 1, Page 196) Next page (Volume 1, Page 196)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group A - Natural Features
Trees
Mainly elm trees on south side of The Avenue, between New Farm and opposite entrance to Arlebury Park. Centred on grid reference.     T.P.O. No. 148
SU 578 323
2625 157
Trees
Various groups and individual trees to the south of West and East Street. Centred on grid reference.     T.P.O. No. 121
SU 588 321
2625 158
Marsh
Alresford Marsh. An area of fen and wet grassland, supporting a variety of plant and animal species. On southern boundary of parish.     SU 575 316
2625 161
Group B - Archaeological Sites and Remains
Anglo-Saxon
Inhumation and Pit
Inhumation with head to west, double sided bone comb, and fragments of a second skull were found. Beneath was an Iron Age rubbish pit containing a sawn off antler tip, Iron Age and Roman sherds and a bone weaving comb. O.S.A. No. SU53 SE24. Ref: 1. P.H.F.C., Vol 17, 1948-50, p.360. Ref: 2. Archaeological News Letter, No. 3, 1948, p.12.     SU 586 318
2625 160
Group C - Footpaths, Bridleways and Old Travelways
Footpath
Path originally known as Bowling Close Lane, offers fine views of country to the east of Alresford. It skirts the edge of the traditional sheep fair field which was moved when the railway was built through it in 1863.     SU 590 324
2625 162
Footpath
From Drove Lane along banks of River Arle to Ladywell Lane. The path passes the old eel houses, and a memorial stone to Hambone Jr. - mascot dog of 47th Infantry Regiment of the 9th Division, U.S.Army, stationed in Alresford 1944. Turn left at The Dean along the river, whose bed is still registered as a highway. The marsh to the right, now three fishing lakes, was where tanners laid out their skins to dry.     SU 574 325
2625 164
Ford
Area known to Saxons as Aewyllas or Great Springs. Ford is shown on enclosures map of 1842, on main Winchester to Alton road and must have been known to travellers for 1,000 years.     SU 574 317
2625 163
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 193) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 193) Next page (Volume 1, Page 196) Next page (Volume 1, Page 196)