Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 206 - New Alresford

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 205) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 205) Next page (Volume 1, Page 207) Next page (Volume 1, Page 207)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.19
Old Fire Station, Broad Street. Purpose built as fire station in 1881. Cobbled yard, cast iron gateposts and railings, stone plaque on front wall. Plaque commemorates the last public service of the Bailiff and Burgesses who were replaced by the Town Trustees in 1883.     C.A.
SU 588 329
2625 150
Cottages (3)
C.19
Nos. 1, 2 and 3, Brandy Mount. 2 storeys. Front stucco to upper storeys. Lower level No. 1 flint and brick, No. 2 and 3 brick, tile roofs.     C.A.
SU 589 326
2625 142
Watercress Beds
C.19
Hampshire is a main watercress growing county. John Dorey's beds date from 1865. Commercial production linked to the arrival of railway, when watercress was picked, and sold in London within 24 hours. Ref: Alresford Displayed. Paper No. 8.     SU 584 331
2625 165
Warehouse
C.19
Station Yard, Station Road. 1873. Red brick with yellow window heads. 3 storeys. Plain windows set in fuII height recesses with brick piers between. Low pitch asbestos sheet roof. Internal construction, cast-iron columns with cast-iron brackets and wooden beams tied to brick piers.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 588 324
2625 159
Buildings
Railway station and goods shed. Brick structure with cement rendering at rear and sides. Slate roofs. Station with waiting rooms, ticket office, station master's house, signal box and lamp standards. Plaque with wording Mid Southern Utility Company. Line opened 1863 - closed 1973. Alresford to Ropley section reopened by Winchester and Alton Railway Ltd. 1977.     SU 588 324
2625 155
Building
Town or New Mill. Brick structure with mansard roof. 3 storeys. Stable type entrance door. Extensively rebuilt. Present roller mill built in 1893 on site of older mill. Stopped grinding corn 1923, but continued grinding animal feeding stuffs until about 1963. Machinery removed, and River Alre diverted down waterfall at side of building. Ref: 1. Dwellings in Alresford, No. 1, pp. 33-37. Ref: 2. Poor Rate Book 1654, (Mill in possession of Idle Dick Norton).     C.A.
SU 588 330
2625 141
Houses
Nos. 56 and 58, West Street. 2 storeys and attic, painted stucco with moulded eaves. Modern tiled roofs and shop fronts.     C.A.
SU 586 326
2625 145
Building
Hurdle House, Sutton Road. Brick barn with elaborate dressings and punched windows, flint panels and tiled roof. In use for Annual Sheep Fair.     SU 592 326
2625 134
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 205) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 205) Next page (Volume 1, Page 207) Next page (Volume 1, Page 207)