Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 208 - New Alresford

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 207) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 207) Next page (Volume 1, Page 209) Next page (Volume 1, Page 209)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.18
23, Broad Street - The Old Post House. Residence of the Tichborne claimant during the famous court case of that name. Interior doors had to be widened to suit his great girth. Also probable site of the Anchor Inn. Ref: Dwellings in Alresford, No. 4, pp.21-26.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 587 327
2625 12
Former Inn
C.18
22-28, Broad Street. Formerly the George Inn and owned by Winchester College until 1921. Original inn built 1414/1415 and named the Angel. Name changed to the George after news of the victory of Agincourt reached the town. Rebuilt in its present form after the fire of 1689.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 588 327
2625 32
Former Inn
C.18
42, Broad Street. Originally called Le Hart and probably the oldest identified inn in the town. Name changed to White Hart in 1553. Ceased to be an inn after the fire of 1689. Ref: 1. Dwellings in Alresford, No. 1, pp.47-51. Ref: 2. Hampshire Records Office, 136/1, 1552 Survey.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 588 328
2625 39
Site of Dwelling
No. 29, East Street (Cardew House). Built on the site of a dwelling known to have been in the possession of Sir Richard Lyster, Lord Chancellor at the time of the 1552 survey. Ref: Hampshire Records Office 136/1.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 590 326
2625 59
Building
C.18
60, West Street. The location of Perin's Free School from 1698 until 1910, when it moved to its present location. In 1898 it took boy and girl boarders and became the first coeducational boarding school in Hampshire. Ref: 1. Sketches of Hampshire, (Duthy), pp.108-110. Ref: 2. Alresford Displayed. Paper No. 7.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 586 326
2625 126
Hotel
C.17
The Swan Hotel, West Street. An inn during the C.17. The family named Coiiyer who ran the inn during the C.18 also ran the stage coach from Southampton to London, stopping at The Swan, Alresford. More recently it housed the town's assembly room. Ref: 1. Dwellings in Alresford, No. 3, pp.10-19. Ref: 2. Alresford Displayed, Paper No. 3.     C.A.
SU 588 326
2625 105
Hurdle House
Sutton Road. Last in a succession of such buildings which held the hurdles and equipment for the sheep fair. Up to 10,000 beasts would be sold in a day. Present building was built when the route of the railway made it necessary to move the sheep fair field to the field where the hurdle house now stands.     SU 592 326
2625 134
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 207) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 207) Next page (Volume 1, Page 209) Next page (Volume 1, Page 209)