Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 211 - Northington

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 209) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 209) Next page (Volume 1, Page 212) Next page (Volume 1, Page 212)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group A - Natural Features
Area of Scenic Beauty
The Candover River. Runs north south through the parish. It is the longest of the tributaries of the ltchen, rising from a spring at Chilton Candover and in wet seasons from Preston Candover. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 2, 1889/93.     SU 571 382
2626 15
Area of Scenic Beauty
Bridge over Candover River, Northington. There is also a view due south of the Candover River. This includes water meadows and individual trees rising to woodland.     SU 567 374
2626 20
Viewing Point
Situated north of Kites Hill. Views of Danebury to the west, Popham Beacon to the north and the Candover Valley to the north-east can be obtained.     SU 564 382
2626 25
Viewing Point
This site is on the parish boundary to the south west of Grange Park. The view to the south east is of the Candover Valley as far as Alresford, and beyond to Old Winchester and Beacon Hills. View seen from road.     SU 553 355
2626 24
Viewing Point
This point is located on the B3046 to the south of Swarraton Farm. The view to the north and northwest is of the Candover Valley and Northington Church.     SU 578 363
2626 22
Viewing Point
On the edge of the Spy Bush Plantation, a view east and south to Butser and Old Winchester Hills is obtained, from Bridleway No. 7.     SU 584 366
2626 21
Viewing Point
Situated immediately north of the Grange Estate Yard. The view to the north west is of Candover River Meadows, as far as Northington Church. Public Footpath No. 3.     SU 569 365
2626 23
Lake
Grange Park Lake. Constructed by the first Lord Northington who died in 1772. It forms part of the Candover River. Ref: History of Northington and Swarraton, 1890, (Eyre), p.96.     SU 563 356
2626 34
Woodland Shelter Belt
Belt of mixed woodland, known as Parsons Belt, surrounding glebeland in Swarraton. Planted about 1825/30 when present rectory was established. Ref: History of Northington and Swarraton, 1890, (Eyre), p.56     T.P.O. No. 412
SU 571 372
2626 35
Avenue of Lime Trees
Situated south of Northington Down Farm. Half a mile long, it is said to have been planted on the occasion of Lord Ashburton's majority in 1919. Ref: History of Northington and Swarraton, 1890, (Eyre), p.47     SU 550 373
2626 30
Woodland
Kites Hill Copse. Situated on Kites Hill to the north west of Northington. It acts as a shelter belt alongside the road. Part of ancient lunways.     SU 561 376
2626 18
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 209) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 209) Next page (Volume 1, Page 212) Next page (Volume 1, Page 212)