Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 214 - Northington

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 213) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 213) Next page (Volume 1, Page 215) Next page (Volume 1, Page 215)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Old Travel Way
School Hill. Ancient village lane from Candover River to Kites Hill through the village of Northington. Also known as Kites Hill and Northington Hill.     SU 561 376
2626 16
Group D: Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
House
C.17
The Grange, Northington. Originally designed by lnigo Jones, it has been altered by a succession of architects. Present building long rectangle, stuccoed with a tile roof. East front has a Greek Doric Portico. Now derelict. O.S.A. No. SU53 NE13. Ref: 1. V.C.H., Vol. 3, p.394. Ref: 2. History of Northington and Swarraton, 1890, (Eyre).     T. & C.P. Act
SU 562 361
2626 02
Farmhouse
C.18
New House Farmhouse, Northington. 2-storey building of colourwashed brick. Old tile roof. Irregular windows of various dates, and plain brick chimneys.     SU 549 367
2626 03
Church
C.19
St. John the Evangelist, Northington. Built in 1888/9 in style of C. 1 5 by Sir T. G. Jackson. Stone structure. Contains C.18 wall monuments to family of Henley, former owners of The Grange. O.S.A. No. SU53 NE9. Ref: History of Northington and Swarraton, 1890, (Eyre).     T. & C.P. Act
SU 564 374
2626 01
House
The Severalls. 2 storeys, 11/2 at side. Slate roof with three double chimney stacks. Rendered structure, tile hung on upper storey. Ten windows on front elevation, including three bays. French doors to garden. Complex of 1 and 11/2 storey extensions at rear.     SU 570 364
2626 37
Farmhouse
Totford Farm House, Totford. 2-storey. Timber- framed with brick infill. Curved windbraces on first floor. Slate roof. Large chimney. Casement windows. Cat slide slate roof at rear with three dormer windows. Pair of later brick gables. Forms group with two timberclad barns and a modern building.     SU 571 383
2626 38
Group E - Street Patterns, Street Furniture and Open Spaces
Boundary Stones (2)
These stones are situated on the northern boundary of the parish. They mark the ancient boundary of Micheldever Hundred.     SU 567 389
2626 31
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 213) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 213) Next page (Volume 1, Page 215) Next page (Volume 1, Page 215)