Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 220 - Old Alresford

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 219) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 219) Next page (Volume 1, Page 221) Next page (Volume 1, Page 221)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Celtic Fields
East of Godsfield Copse. Associated with settlement site SU53 NE19. Romano-British. O.S.A. No. SU63 NW15. Ref: R.A.F. A.P.'s CPE/UK/2332/5132-3. 28.6.68.     SU 604 380
2627 20
Roman
Villa (Site)
North of Bighton Wood. C.1 -C.4 pottery sherds found. Two finds in Alton and Basingstoke Museums. O.S.A. No. SU63 NW13. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 18, (On distribution of Romano-British population in Basingstoke area), (Apple), p.136.     S.A.M. No. 214
SU 622 363
2627 15
Buildings (Site)
North of Pinglestone Farm. Also enclosure and ditch. Finds of tesselated pavement, sherds, pottery, oyster shells. O.S.A. No. SU53 SE12. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 17, 1948/50, (Milner), p.136.     SU 581 334
2627 25
Crop Marks
East of Lower Lanham Copse. Land cultivated. O.S.A. No. SU63 NW12. Ref: A.S.P.'s J. R. Boydon, Compton, Sussex, 1962, (Own flight), 11.9.68.     SU 614 366
2627 19
Post Norman
Building
C.12
Stands in grounds of Godsfield Manor. The Chapel Godsfield. Formerly a chapel founded by Henry De Blois and granted to Knights of St. John of Jerusalem about 1170. Flint with stone dressings and old tile roof. Also C.14 building with lancet windows to chapel section and priest's lodging at west end of building fairly complete. May be remnant of lost village. O.S.A. No. SU63 NW7. Ref: 1. Lost Villages of England, (Beresford), p.353. Ref: 2. The Mediaeval Religious Houses of England and Wales, (Knowles and Hadcock).     T. & C.P. Act
S.A.M. No. 403
SU 604 370
2627 11
Group C - Footpaths, Bridleways and Old Travelways
Roman Road
South of Upper Lanham Farm. Cultivated. No visible trace remains. Ref: A Short History of Medstead, 1932, (Moody), p.8.     SU 620 366
2627 17
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Cottage
C.16/17
The Old Fulling Mill. 2 storeys, timber-framed with colourwashed brick infilling. Thatch roof. Stands on the parish boundary. The River Arle flows underneath the cottage, bridge in front of the building connects with the public footpath.     SU 584 331
2627 46
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 219) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 219) Next page (Volume 1, Page 221) Next page (Volume 1, Page 221)