Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 221 - Old Alresford

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 220) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 220) Next page (Volume 1, Page 222) Next page (Volume 1, Page 222)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.16
Weir House. Built 1583. Tiled roof with attractive chimneys. Brick structure, with curved tiles covering part of the walls at the rear of the house. The morning room of the west wing was originally a chapel, used by Lady Linley who was of the Roman Catholic faith. Picturesque setting with gardens and lawns sweeping down to the River Arle.     C.A.
SU 587 332
2627 45
Cottage
C.17
Northleigh Cottage. Thatched, with flanking chimneys, 2 storeys, brick construction, originally tiled at rear, but now rendered over. Oak beams, floorboards on first floor of broad oak planks. Originally two cottages.     SU 588 342
2627 41
Cottage
C.17
Drovers Return. Thatched roof, flanking chimneys. 2 storeys, lattice windows, oak beams, originally three cottages. Restored in 1968.     SU 585 339
2627 42
House
C.17/18
Old Alresford Place. 3 storeys and basement. Red brick structure with brick string course, and parapet with stone coping. Old tile roof. Contemporary fireplaces and plaster decoration to walls. Staircase with domed glass cupola. Once the rectory of St. Mary's Church, and now Winchester Diocesan House. Restored.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 588 337
2627 04
Farm and Outbuildings
C.18
Lower Lanham Farm. Flint with brick dressings. First floor string course. Old tile roof and flanking chimneys. Formerly cottages. Flanked by weatherboarded and thatched outbuildings. Also thatched barn in good condition.     SU 605 361
2627 09
House
C.18
Old Alresford House. Built by Captain, later Admiral Rodney, on site of Old Manor House. 3 storeys and basement. North front red brick with stone string course. Forecourt with central octagonal fountain. High wrought iron gates. Roman Catholic chapel on left hand side of forecourt dedicated to Our Lady of Alresford. O.S.A. No. SU53 SE14.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 588 336
2627 02
House
C.18
Upton Park. 1768. Built by James, brother of Admiral Rodney. 3 storeys and basement. Stucco with chamfered stone quoins. Stone string course first floor, stone cornice second floor and parapet with stone coping, slate floor. Stable block colourwashed brick and flint with old tile roof. Wrought iron weathercock at west apex of roof.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 591 339
2627 03
House
C.18
The Manor Farmhouse. 3 storeys and cellar. Brick with dentil cornice and parapet with stone coping on principal front. Half-hipped old tile roof and flanking chimneys. Possibly Queen Anne with later alterations to frontal.     SU 584 338
2627 06
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 220) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 220) Next page (Volume 1, Page 222) Next page (Volume 1, Page 222)