Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 222 - Old Alresford

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 221) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 221) Next page (Volume 1, Page 223) Next page (Volume 1, Page 223)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Farmhouse
C.18
Pinglestone Farmhouse. 2 storeys and attic. Brick with half-hipped old tile roof. Picturesque setting with fine trees. Extensive cellars, with alcoves for storing wine.     SU 582 332
2627 07
House
C.18
Godsfield Manor. Stucco, tiled roof, plain building with sash windows. Modernised.     SU 604 370
2627 10
Cottage
C.18
Old Alresford Cottage. Built circa 1752, enlarged at a later date. Tiled roof. Matching chimneys and sash windows. Outbuildings probably old stables, now garages. Large garden attractively laid out, with lawns sweeping down to the watercress beds. Walled kitchen garden.     SU 587 338
2627 34
Cottage and Mill
C.18
Arle Mill. 2 storeys and attic. Colourwashed brick cottage with half-hipped old tile roof. Mill forming long wing at back, has part old tile and part slate roof. Rebuilt in 1814, records indicate a much older building. The cottage and mill now converted into a most attractive residence.     C.A.
SU 588 332
2627 08
Cottage
C.18
Victoria Cottage. 2 storeys. Thatched roof, single chimney, dormer windows, oak beams, rendered facade.     SU 588 342
2627 49
Cottage
C.18
Green End Cottage. Thatched roof. Brick and plaster construction, casement windows, attractive interior, oak beams. Originally the village Post Office.     SU 588 341
2627 40
Farmhouse
C.18
Upton Park Farm. Built about 1770. Tiled roof, flanking chimneys, brick construction, casement windows, cellar. Walled garden. Thatched outbuildings.     SU 591 341
2627 38
Church
C.18
Church of St. Mary The Virgin. RebuiIt 1753 on site of much older church. Brick and flint with old tiled roof. Tower rebuilt circa 1769. Gothicised 1862. Fine peal of six bells. Marble monument to Rooney family on north wall. Founder church of The Mother's Union. Tablet to memory of Mary Sumner on south wall. The church is prominently sited on high ground. Mausoleum in churchyard with temple front. O.S.A. No. SU53 SE13. Ref: History of Alresford, 1774, (Boyes).     T. & C.P. Act
SU 588 356
2627 01
Farmhouse
C.18
Armsworth Park Farm. Brick. Hipped old tile roof. Part has first floor string course, ovate light windows. One time kennels of Hampshire Hunt. Formerly called Harmsworth. Ref: A History of Hunting in Hampshire, (Hope).     T. & C.P. Act
SU 609 372
2627 05
Building
C.19
Church of England Primary School. Built in 1846, stone construction with tiled roof, flanking chimneys, casement windows.     SU 589 343
2627 43
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 221) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 221) Next page (Volume 1, Page 223) Next page (Volume 1, Page 223)
Search Hampshire Treasures Search Hampshire Treasures
Up: Top of this page Home: Hantsweb Homepage Treasures Homepage Treasures Homepage Right Hampshire Localpages