Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 223 - Old Alresford

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 222) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 222) Next page (Volume 1, Page 224) Next page (Volume 1, Page 224)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Farmhouse
C.19
Fobdown Farm. Brick, rendered. Slate roof, matching chimneys and one of an unusual design. Rebuilt circa 1870 on site of a much older building which is recorded in the church records. Cellars, kitchens and outbuildings part of original structure.     SU 571 339
2627 36
Building
C.19
Southdown National Childrens' Home. Brick construction. Tiled roof, sash windows. Building on south side added at a later date. Complex includes two staff cottages, approached from the road through a fine avenue of lime trees. Built by the Misses Onslow as a home for the training of girls. Later used as a primitive Methodist home.     SU 589 345
2627 39
Almshouses
C.19
Onslow Almshouses. Stone and brick construction with tiled roof, flanking chimneys. Built 1852 by the Misses Onslow in memory of their mother. Over the porch carved in stone is the following inscription. 'She stretched out her hand to the poor. She reached out her hand to the needy'. Modernised 1973. Now under the trusteeship of the Parish Council.     SU 588 342
2627 44
House
C.19
Armsworth House. Stucco. Hipped slate roof. Set on fine rising ground with terrace garden to south east and background of fine trees. Interior of interest.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 609 373
2627 32
Barn
Upton Park Farm. Half-hipped old tile roof. Brick construction, with oak beams.     SU 591 341
2627 37
Barn
Manor Farm. Built on a brick and flint foundation. Thatched roof. Boarded sides. Rough hewn timber beams.     SU 584 338
2627 31
House
Hill House. Formerly known as Upton Cottage. Attractive Georgian residence, brick rendered, 2 storeys, with attics and cellars. Tiled roof with parapet, sash windows with arched frames. Rebuilt circa 1752 on site of much older property. Used as rectory from 1905/6 until 1938.     SU 590 339
2627 35
Building
Twines Brewery, part of the village shop. The brewery was closed about the turn of the century, the tall chimney of the malt house is still standing, but the remainder of the brewery building is now unsafe. Ref: A Gazetter of Hampshire Breweries, (Tighe), p.94.     SU 588 342
2627 48
Culvert
Great Weir. Culvert carries overflow water from 0Id AIresford Pond to the watercress beds below.     C.A.
SU 588 332
2627 13
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 222) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 222) Next page (Volume 1, Page 224) Next page (Volume 1, Page 224)