Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 245 - Shedfield

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 244) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 244) Next page (Volume 1, Page 247) Next page (Volume 1, Page 247)

The Parish of Shedfield was formed in 1894 from part of the Parish of Droxford. A major local government re-organization took place in 1894-95 owing to the growth in population, and boundaries were changed in every county throughout the whole country. New parishes were created for areas of urban growth where previously a single parish had covered a vast area of agricultural land. Shedfield used to be a tithing of Droxford Parish but was elevated to the status of civil parish by the Local Government Act of 1894. Droxford and Shedfield were in the Bishop's Waltham Hundred, and Shedfield was recorded as early as 1337 in a Court Roll which added the Tithing of Shedfield to Droxford.

Agriculture, horticulture and fruit-growing were important local occupations, as was brick-making. Many of the buildings in Shedfield village date from the nineteenth century although a few houses are older. The Parish Church of St. John the Baptist was built in 1875 to replace an earlier structure, of which the buttressed tower still remains. The parish registers date from 1829.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Shedfield.

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 244) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 244) Next page (Volume 1, Page 247) Next page (Volume 1, Page 247)