Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 251 - Soberton

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 249) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 249) Next page (Volume 1, Page 253) Next page (Volume 1, Page 253)

Soberton was called Sudbertune in the eleventh century, and the Domesday Book records three large estates in the parish. The manorial system in Soberton was quite complex, the Clere family owning a Manor of Soberton from early times from the king. The manor was granted to Beaulieu Abbey in the thirteenth century but was let to various tenants from the fourteenth century onwards. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries the manor was in private hands, but was sold to Thomas Wriothesley, Earl of Southampton, in 1549. Soberton continued in this family until the mid-seventeenth century when it was bought by Dr. Walter Curll, Bishop of Winchester, who retired to Soberton after the City of Winchester fell to Cromwell in October 1645.

Another part of Soberton was held by Herbert the Chamberlain at the time of the Domesday Survey, but later passed to the de Winton family who held it in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. Herbert the Chamberlain is thought to have granted part of his manor to his daughter on her marriage to Robert de Venuz. In the early thirteenth century this land was known as Flexland, and later as Flexland Cobham after the de Cobham family of the late thirteenth century. The name of the manor was changed to Englefield or Inglefield some time in the fourteenth century.

Titchfield Abbey owned land in Flexland and Soberton, but the lands had passed into private hands at the Dissolution. Other parts of Soberton Parish were known as Wallop's Manor after the Wallop family who were lords of the manor from the reign of Henry lll until the seventeenth century.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Soberton.

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 249) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 249) Next page (Volume 1, Page 253) Next page (Volume 1, Page 253)