Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 272 - Sparsholt

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 271) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 271) Next page (Volume 1, Page 273) Next page (Volume 1, Page 273)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Romano-British
Site of Roman Villa
Cow Down Copse. Courtyard type villa excavated in 1965-72. Mosaic found in one room now in Winchester Museum. O.S.A. No. SU43 SW18. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 23, 1965, pp.46-47.     S.A.M. No. 72
SU 419 300
2631 15
Group C - Footpaths, Bridleways and Old Travelways
Ancient Routeway
The Oxdrove and Ham Green. Extends from the parish boundary on the east through Ham Green as far as No Man's Land in the west. Ancient drove road to Winchester.     SU 448 308
2631 49
Bridle Path
Burrow Road, Sparsholt. Ancient grass track past Crab Wood. Part is metalled.     SU 433 305
2631 48
Footpath
From Ham Green to Crab Wood Farm. Ancient route way now used for access from the farm to Sparsholt. Part of its length is through arable fields.     SU 437 306
2631 50
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Church (Ruins)
C.12
St. Peter's, Lainston. Flint walls remain with plain doorways and C.18 windows in east wall. Octagonal font bowl and tombstone on floor.     T. & C.P. Act
S.A.M. No. 149
SU 442 315
2631 06
Church
C.12
St. Stephen's. Flint and stone, with a wooden belfry added to the tower. Restored 1883 by Butterfield. Chancel arch originally C.13 but basically altered in C.16. Tower arch C.14/15. South doorway dated 1631.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 435 312
2631 01
Barn
C.15/16
The White House. Standing on west boundary of garden. Brick structure, 70ft. by 20ft. Used in C. 19 to house coach and horses of judge at Winchester Assizes.     SU 433 313
2631 39
Cottage
C.16
Church Cottage. Part of building at back is of chalk, front brick. Whole cottage now roughcast. Was originally thatched. In 1925 when major repairs were carried out, roof was replaced with slates. Reputedly earliest surviving cottage in village.     SU 435 311
2631 31
House
C.16
Opposite the church. Brick structure, originally the C. 1 6 home of the village clerk, in 1895 was called Old Clerk's Cottage. Altered in 1952 with addition to rear. Has cellar, well, and ancient yew tree, reputed to be 400 years old.     SU 435 311
2631 30
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 271) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 271) Next page (Volume 1, Page 273) Next page (Volume 1, Page 273)