Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 275 - Sparsholt

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 274) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 274) Next page (Volume 1, Page 276) Next page (Volume 1, Page 276)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Stable
C.19
Westley House. Flint and brick stable dated by plaque on end gable (J.P.F. 1871). This is the last remaining building of original Westley Manor Farm. Dovecote holes in east gable and along top of south west wall.     SU 425 320
2631 43
House
C.19
Garstons. Brick structure with flint chiseling in panels. Built between 1845-1875, with additions in 1890 and 1920. Fine oak trees in paddock to south.     SU 430 319
2631 44
Building
C.19
The Village School. Built Feb. 28th, 1850 on site legally secured to the Vicar and Church Wardens by Sir Frederick Hervey Bathurst. Enlarged to present size in 1875. Brick and stone structure. Ref: Sparsholt Parish Archives.     SU 435 311
2631 29
Cottage
C.19
Post Office Cottage. Brick structure. Built on earlier foundations after fire. Ref: Sparsholt Parish Archives.     SU 436 312
2631 27
House
C.19
The Lodge. Brick structure, Victorian design. Originally 1 storey, first floor added in 1920's.     SU 433 313
2631 40
Well House
C.19
Brick structure. Built 1897 by public subscription to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. Houses gear for working village well 247 ft. deep.     SU 436 312
2631 28
Inn
C.19
The Plough Inn. Hipped tiled roof. Stuccoed front. Saw edge denti] course. Casement windows. Tiled porch. 1 -storey extension to rear.     SU 438 313
2631 26
Building
The Woodman. Brick structure. Described in a deed of 10th June 1786 as 'an ancient cottage'. First called a beer shop in 1886. Delicensed 1973.     SU 435 310
2631 34
Cottage
Dean Hill Cottage. Brick structure. Converted from two dwellings to present house 1965. When digging cess pit, C.11 cooking pot was found.     SU 442 310
2631 21
Horsewheel
Located in outhouse at Lainston House. 360ft. well dates from C.13. Outhouse contains a horse engine which worked a pair of pumps. It consists of a 14ft. main shaft from which a bar descends at an angle of 45 degrees. Two struts support this bar. The bottom end of the bar nearly touches the ground, and this carries the swingle tree for the harness. A 6ft. diameter pulley of cast iron was connected by chains to the pulleys on the crank at the head of the pump rods. The horse walked in a circle of 22ft. diameter.     SU 441 316
2631 53
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 274) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 274) Next page (Volume 1, Page 276) Next page (Volume 1, Page 276)