Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 277 - Swanmore

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 276) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 276) Next page (Volume 1, Page 279) Next page (Volume 1, Page 279)

Swanmore was originally a tithing of the Hundred of Bishop's Waltham, and was mentioned in a court roll of Bishop's Waltham dated 1337. The modern civil parish of Swanmore was formed in 1894 from parts of Droxford and Bishop's Waltham parishes, and is situated on the edge of Waltham Chase.

The modern village of Swanmore comprises cottages of mainly Victorian date, but there are older buildings in a hamlet to the north of the village. Brick-making was an important industry in earlier times as the chalk of Waltham Chase gave way to clay soils in the valley of the Meon River.

Pottery dating from Roman times or earlier was found at Swan more in the 1860's. A National School was built in 1864 to accommodate 238 children and after the 1870 Education Act the number of pupils had risen so much that the school was enlarged in 1880. The Parish Church of St. Barnabas was built of stone and flint in 1845-6; a Gothic style south aisle and a tower with a shingled spire were added in 1876-7.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Swanmore.

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 276) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 276) Next page (Volume 1, Page 279) Next page (Volume 1, Page 279)