Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 294 - Twyford

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 293) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 293) Next page (Volume 1, Page 295) Next page (Volume 1, Page 295)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
House
C.16/17
The Old Rectory, Parsonage Lane. Tile roof, brick structure, some leaded windows. Probable site of Rectory of Master of St. Cross.     SU 481 250
2633 55
House
C.16/17
Manor Farmhouse. Now divided into two parts vertically. 1. The monastery is an Elizabethan house of chequered flint and stone structure with red brick gables. Cellars probably of an earlier date. 2. The Georgian manor house of red brick has inner walls of stone, and a tiled roof. Sash windows and Georgian doorways. Extensively rebuilt during Mildmay ownership. O.S.A. No. SU42 SE11. Ref: 1. Mildmay books and papers. Southhampton University Library. Ref: 2. Civil War in Hampshire, 1642-5, (Godwin). Ref: 3. V.C.H. Hants., Vol. 1, p.460, Vol. 3, pp.333, 339-40.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 479 242
2633 08
Barn
C.16/17
Manor Farm. Brick, tile and slate roof. Adjoining C.13 stone archway built into east side. Used as quarters for troops during Civil War. O.S.A. No. SU42 SE 11.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 479 242
2633 08
Cottage
C.17
High Bank, east side of High Street. Walls flint, plaster and some brick, asbestos weathered roof replacing thatch.     SU 481 245
2633 63
House
C.17
Shawford Park. Ashlar stone in small squares, hipped old tile roof. 2 storeys and attic. Built by Sir Henry Mildmay in 1685. Well laid out grounds on bank of River ltchen. Ref: Mildmay Books and Papers, Southampton University Library.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 475 248
2633 11
Inn
C.17
The Phoenix, High Street. Rendered brick with slate roof. Manorial records show this was an inn in 1690. Now mainly C.19.     SU 480 244
2633 62
Barn
C.17
Adjoining Vicarage. Timber-framed, brick infill. Old tile roof.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 481 251
2633 02
Houses
C.17
High Street. Small brick houses, with tile roofs. Complete group adjoining Rosary.     SU 480 244
2633 61
Farmhouse
C.17/18
Segars, Segars Lane. Old brick with hipped tile roof. Part C.16. 2 storeys.     SU 471 244
2633 34
Cottages (2)
C.17/18
West of Water Farmhouse. Brick and tile, con- verted from stables. Originally thatched.     SU 478 246
2633 30
Forge and Dwelling
C.17/18
Forge Cottage and Old Forge. 1 -storey and attic, brick with old tile roof and dormer windows. Stone in house walls dated 1694 and 1712. Floor levels below present road. Forge still retained. Ref: Mildmay Manorial Records Book, Vol. 4.     SU 480 244
2633 20
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 293) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 293) Next page (Volume 1, Page 295) Next page (Volume 1, Page 295)