Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 296 - Twyford

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 295) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 295) Next page (Volume 1, Page 297) Next page (Volume 1, Page 297)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.18
Rosary Cottage, High Street. 1 -storey and attic, brick, hipped old tile roof, structure possibly older than date stated.     SU 480 244
2633 17
Cottage
C.18
Oak Cottage, High Street. Brick structure, with slate roof, probably on site of older house.     SU 480 243
2633 56
Mill
C.18
Shawford Mill, Shawford Road. 2 storeys, brick half-hipped old tile roof. Dated 1795 on stone in wall. Turbine-powered, unused. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 25.     SU 473 249
2633 35
Cottage
C.18
Shawford Mill Cottage, Shawford Road. Brick structure, tile roof.     SU 474 249
2633 66
Water Mill
C.18
Hockley Mill, on River ltchen. Brick with tile roof, built 1799. Domesday site. Mill unused, two pairs of stones, and milling machinery intact, iron poncelet water wheel.     SU 480 256
2633 69
Houses
C.18
Laundry Houses, High Street. Brick with tile roof, Georgian facade on street. Backs of houses may be older than date stated.     SU 480 244
2633 60
Barn
C.18
Monks Barn, Brewery Lane. Brick structure, tile roof, large cellars, connected to C.19 brewery. Now converted to house. Brew house and malting room remain.     SU 480 243
2633 57
House
C.18
Twyford House, Serles Hill. 2 storeys and attic. Brick with moulded brick cornice and panelled parapet, slate roof. Queen Anne house with 3-bow back facing River ltchen. Ref: B. Franklin at Twyford (Kenyon).     T. & C.P. Act
SU 482 250
2633 05
Wall and Orangery
C.18
Adjoining Twyford House, Serles Hill. On the south side is a contemporary red brick wall, leading to a small orangery of the same date. Constructed of red brick with tile roof. Round headed doorway with window on either side. Ref: B. Franklin at Twyford (Kenyon).     T. & C.P. Act
SU 482 250
2633 06
House
C.18
Twyford School House, Serles Hill. Early Georgian, brick with tiled roof. 2 storeys and attic, central brick Doric porch with arched opening. Modern extensions of school buildings to west and north. Taken over as private school in 1809. Ref: History of Twyford School, (Wickham).     T. & C.P. Act
SU 483 249
2633 07
House
C.18
The Elms, Queen Street/Finches Lane. 2 storeys and attic. Brick structure with old tile roof, door at right hand end of block in panelled surround. Panelled parapet, with open panels of balusters opposite dorners.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 478 245
2633 09
Farmhouse
C.18
Hazeley Farmhouse, Hazeley Road. 2 storeys and attic. Vitreous brick with red dressings, half- hipped old tile roof with flanking chimneys. 5-bay front with 1-storey, 1-bay wing to right.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 480 254
2633 12
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 295) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 295) Next page (Volume 1, Page 297) Next page (Volume 1, Page 297)