Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 298 - Twyford

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 297) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 297) Next page (Volume 1, Page 299) Next page (Volume 1, Page 299)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Cottages (3)
C.19
Army Row, High Street. Brick and tile structure, erected to house veterans of Waterloo. Of historic interest only.     SU 481 246
2633 72
Pumping Station
C.19
Hazeley Road. Built in 1898. 2 storeys. Red brick with dressed stone window surrounds. Slate roof. Windows in pairs, with semi-circular heads and divided by stone stub columns. Large square brick chimney.     S.A.M. No. 348
SU 493 248
2633 114
Monument
C.20
Hazeley Road. Erected to memory of men stationed in large Hazeley Camp 1914-18. Access along private road.     SU 500 255
2633 71
Lock
Lane End. On the ltchen Navigation. Adjacent to Winchester Bypass, opposite Hockley Golf Club and on the parish boundary. Remains of brick lock sides. Gates missing. Sluice further upstream.     SU 478 266
2633 118
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Toll House
Not outstanding architecturally, but of historic interest marking old turnpike road. Until recently villagers called A. 333 Cobbetts Road. Brick toll-house situated north of the village.     SU 479 265
2633 70
Toll House
South of Twyford village marking the old turnpike road. 2 storeys. Pink colourwashed brick structure. Tiled roof. Casement windows. 1 -storey extensions.     SU 479 237
2633 115
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 297) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 297) Next page (Volume 1, Page 299) Next page (Volume 1, Page 299)