Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 302 - Upham

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 301) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 301) Next page (Volume 1, Page 303) Next page (Volume 1, Page 303)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.18
The Rectory. Red brick, tiled roof. Doorway in reeded architrave surround with flat hood on brackets. On site of earlier building as records show Edward Young, author of 'Night Thoughts' etc. was born at Upham Rectory in 1683.     SU 538 206
1914 02
House
C.18
West Hall. Stuccoed, parapet stepped up over the northernmost west bay.     SU 531 203
1914 09
House
C.18
Rookery Cottage. Originally three cottages. Tiled roof. Front of house of Flemish bond brickwork. Remainder red brick. Oak beams internally.     SU 538 205
1914 21
House
C.18
Blackdown. Hipped slate roof. Stuccoed, porch with Ionic columns. Early Georgian, the north wing early C.19. The south wing enlarged and refaced with red brick in recent years.     SU 538 227
1914 11
House
C.18
Belmore House. Tile roof. Stuccoed, two parallel ranges. Pilasters flank each side of west bay. Castellated parapet. Wide porch.     T. & C.P. Act
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 556 219
1914 04
Church
C.18
The church dedication unknown. The tower of red brick and lrey headers C.17. Chancel restored 1877. North aisle of the nave rebuilt, 1881. The chancel has some C.13 work. Churchwardens' reports show Cromwell's house stabled here before the Battle of Cheriton. Ref: Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.630.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 538 206
1914 01
House
C.19
Wintershill Hall. Built in 1852, largely rebuilt in 1902. Site of pound for straying cattle till 1849.     SU 527 183
1914 05
House
C.19
The Manor House.' L-shaped, brick and flint structure, hipped slate roof. Built on site of older building. Originally was part of The Manor of Bishop's Waltham.     SU 537 206
1914 03
Cottages
Poplar Cottages. Timber-framed with painted brick infill, ground floor rebuilt in brick now painted. Originally thatched roof.     SU 526 198
1914 18
Houses (2)
Taylors Cottage and Miwastrith, Sciviers Lane. Flint and brick structure, originally four cottages, locally known as The Barracks.     SU 524 193
1914 22
House
Stroudwood Cottage, Sciviers Lane. Brick structure. Was originally an inn cai led The Stroudwood Arms, then used as a Horse Mail Station for the area. Closed during 1914-18 war.     SU 523 191
1914 27
House
Red Lodge, Sciviers Lane. Brick structure, tiled roof. Alleged to be at least 250 years old.     SU 523 191
1914 29
Cottage
Nine of Hearts. Knapped flint with brick gable wall. Slate roof. Metal casement windows with leaded lights.     SU 535 205
1914 25
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 301) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 301) Next page (Volume 1, Page 303) Next page (Volume 1, Page 303)