Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 303 - Upham

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 302) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 302) Next page (Volume 1, Page 304) Next page (Volume 1, Page 304)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Farmhouse
Woolstreet Farm. Timber-framed with painted brick infilling. Ground floor rebuilt in brick now painted. Hipped tiled roof. Was mentioned in Parish Register in 1763 but no building date mentioned.     SU 529 190
1914 17
Cottage
Gardener's Cottage. Attractive brick structure and design. Fire Insurance Co. plaque.     SU 539 205
1914 13
Farmhouse
Hill Farm, Shoe Lane. Probably C.17, altered in C.19. 1-storey and attic, tiled roof with three gabled dormers. Painted brick structure. Casement windows.     SU 538 207
1914 31
House
The Old Fir Tree. Formerly an inn. Brick walls with hipped tiled roof. 1 -bay extension to south with cat slide roof. Casement windows. Later porch. Extension to rear.     SU 538 207
1914 26
Inn
The Brushmakers Arms. Tiled roof. 2 storeys. Painted brick structure. Casement windows.     SU 540 206
1914 08
Farm Buildings
Newlyns Farm. Brick with tiled roof. 3-bay front with sliding sash windows. Later porch. Brick barn now converted to private residence. Timber clad granary standing on staddle stones.     SU 539 207
1914 10
House
The Forge. Brick structure with slate roof, roof timbers of rough tree trunks. Alleged to be over 250 years old.     SU 524 193
1914 30
Cottages
Lower Preshaw Cottages. L-shaped timber-framed with red brick infilling in the north wall. The gable facing west close studded with infilling of flints, the rest of west front is refaced with red brick. Tiled roof.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 567 220
1914 15
Tread Wheel
The Manor House. The tread wheel is 1 Oft. in diameter and is built with one set of spokes. The rim is made of four pieces, equally supported by the spokes in twelve points, and carries the 2ft. wide tread on a series fo staves socketed and wedged to the rim. Housed in an open sided well-house. Ref: Water Raising by Animal Power, (Brunner and Major), p.132.     SU 537 206
1914 03A
Well
Farthing Cottages. Chalk lined over 100ft. deep with windlass, at rear of house. Originally was within an outhouse, which has now been demolished.     SU 539 208
1914 31B
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 302) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 302) Next page (Volume 1, Page 304) Next page (Volume 1, Page 304)