Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 310 - Warnford

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 309) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 309) Next page (Volume 1, Page 311) Next page (Volume 1, Page 311)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.18
Warnford House. Hipped slate roof. Painted brick. Round headed doorway with semi-circular fanlight.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 622 231
1915 07
School Building
C.19
The Old School, Lippen Lane. Brick structure. Built in 1846, enlarged 1876. Closed as a school in 1931. Now used for village functions.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 624 233
1915 16
Building
C.19
Village Post Office and General store. Brick structure. Built as a chapel in 1826.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 624 231
1915 17
Garden Building
C.19
The Dower House, Warnford Park. Flint structure. Ornamental building in very bad state of repair. Last inhabited in 1928. In winter a water course runs completely under the house. Ref: Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.643.     T. & C.P. Act
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 622 224
1915 02
House
C.19
The Old Rectory, now called Abbey House. Brick structure. Built by Rev. E. Lancaster in 1825. Fine curved bay windows on ground and first floors. Porch with fluted columns. Doorway round headed with moulded architrave and semi-circular fanlight.     T. & C.P. Act
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 619 228
1915 04
Grotto
Grounds of Warnford House. Built into the base of a very high bank. Was possibly used as a type of summer house in the C.19. Brick and flint structure.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 620 231
1915 07
Ice House
Hayden Lane, grounds of Warnford House. Well preserved. Consists of passage leading into a lower larger room. Brick structure.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 627 230
1915 39
House
Rose Lea. Tiled roof. Painted brick structure. Was once an inn called The Cyclist's Rest. Sash windows. Sussex Insurance Society plaque.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 621 231
1915 14
Cottage
Chestnut Cottage. Flint structure, internal beams. Was originally the village forge.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 622 231
1915 13
House
Bere Farm House. Timber-framed with brick infill. Internal beams. When modernised in 1968 a bacon curing room was found halfway up the chimney measuring 8ft. by 5ft. by 8ft. In the garden a well jpreserved deep well with donkey wheel.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 625 252
1915 12
Building
Peak Farm Cottage. Pebbledash front with brick pilasters. Gabletted tiled roof. Central chimney. Wooden pediment over door supported on brick piers. L-shaped plan. Early ridge tiles. Farm reputed to be in Domesday Book.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 633 219
1915 18
Farmhouse
Wheely Farm. 2 storeys. Red brick front with brick arches over sash windows. Slate roof. Modern door. Granary on nine staddle stones. Probably of late C.18 or early C.19 date.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 610 246
1915 40
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 309) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 309) Next page (Volume 1, Page 311) Next page (Volume 1, Page 311)