Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 319 - West Meon

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 318) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 318) Next page (Volume 1, Page 320) Next page (Volume 1, Page 320)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.19
West Lodge. Painted brick, string course, eaves cornice, hipped slate roof, nearly central curved bay on both floors. Doorway at the head of three steps with an iron handrail.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 640 238
1916 07
Church
C.19
St. John's Church. Built 1843-6. Flint structure. The tomb of Thomas Lord is in the old churchyard. Prominent tower. O.S.A. No. SU62 SW (M) 1. Ref: Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.647.     C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 639 241
1916 46
Railway Line
C.20
Meon Valley Line 1903-1955. Ref: A Southern Region Record, (Clark).     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 645 249
1916 45
Stone Cross
C.20
Erected in 1901 by the last surviving of the sixteen children of Dr. Vining Rogers, a doctor in West Meon for 40 years. An inscription on the south face mentions an earlier cross, probably a market cross on this site. O.S.A. No. SU62 SW7.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 641 240
1916 02
Cottage
Cross Cottage, or Cottage at The Cross. Timber- framed refaced with painted brick. Thatched with three eyebrows. Chimney breast on east wall.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 640 240
1916 04
House
Nos. 1 and 2, Garden Cottages, (now one house). Timber-framed with painted brick infilling. Curved braces on first floor. Thatched roof with three eyebrows.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 640 238
1916 08
House
Hatch Cottage. L-shaped, timber-framed With painted brick infill. Roof originally thatched.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 640 240
1916 06
Cottages (2)
Benhams Cottages. Thatched with three eyebrows, timber-framed with plaster infill. Refronted with painted brick.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 641 240
1916 03
Cottages (3)
1, 2, 3, Station Road. Timber-framed with painted brick infill. Hipped tiled roof. (Deed of 1853. Miss Mary Touchet endowed the school with three tenements, blacksmith's shop, and coach house. 1897 Queen Victoria's Institute built on the site of the blacksmith's shop). Now part of No. 3.     C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 640 238
1916 22
House
The Old Schoolhouse, Woodlands. Timber-framed, red brick infilling. Mostly refaced with red brick and grey headers. Hipped thatched roof with one eyebrow and one gabled dormer. Casement windows with diamond shaped leaded panes. Was originally The School Room with cottage attached.     T. & C.P. Act
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 646 268
1916 14
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 318) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 318) Next page (Volume 1, Page 320) Next page (Volume 1, Page 320)