Hampshire Treasures

Volume 1 ( Winchester City District)

Page 339 - Wonston

Previous page (Volume 1, Page 338) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 338) Next page (Volume 1, Page 340) Next page (Volume 1, Page 340)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Crop mark of large concentric double-ditched enclosure and other marks. O.S.A. No. SU44 SE33. Ref: A.S.P. ARW 92, (St. Joseph).     SU 480 412
2635 67
Enclosure (Part)
Crop mark of part of large single-ditched irregular-shaped enclosure. O.S.A. No. SU43 NE29. Ref: A.S.P. ARW 100, (St. Joseph).     SU 488 374
2635 55
Crop mark of ring-ditch. O.S.A. No. SU54 SW25. Ref: A.S.P. ARW 76, (St. Joseph).     SU 502 434
2635 70
Norton Manor. Originally a mediaeval fish pond. Now used as an ornamental lake. O.S.A. No. SU44 SE27.     SU 469 409
2635 77
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
St. Michael's, Stoke Charity. Stucco exterior with stone dressings. The nave, north arcade and the chancel date from about 1 190. The chancel was rebuilt between 1225-1250 and the church was enlarged in the mid C.14 a bay being added at the west end of the nave and the north aisle. This church contains some interesting memorials and also a Norman font. O.S.A. No. SU43 NE13 Ref: 1. O.S. 6' 1911. Ref: 2. V.C.H., Vol. 3, pp.449-51.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 488 392
2635 28
Holy Trinity. Plastered walls with stone dressings. The church was damaged by fire in 1714, much restored in 1872 and again burnt in 1908. The south doorway, the chancel arch and side windows of the chancel are Early English. O.S.A. No. SU43 NE7. Ref: Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.723.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 476 395
2635 15
Dovecote and Manor House (Site)
Original Manor House of Hunton was built on a site south east of existing house. The dovecot is situated among farm buildings and is used for storage purposes. Square built of flint with sandstone quoins and the nests being formed of chalk blocks. The 4-centered doorway is of C.15/16 date. O.S.A. No. SU43 NE9. Ref: V.C.H., Vol. 3, pp.409-411.     SU 481 398
2635 44
Situated at road junction, 90yds. north east of church. 2 storeys, timber-framed, mainly with brick infilling, but some wattle and daub. Roof part thatch, part old tile.     SU 481 396
2635 23
Previous page (Volume 1, Page 338) Previous page (Volume 1, Page 338) Next page (Volume 1, Page 340) Next page (Volume 1, Page 340)