Hampshire Treasures

Volume 2 ( Basingstoke and Deane)

Page 4 - Ashmansworth

 Previous page (Volume 2, Page 3) Next page (Volume 2, Page 5)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Period Unknown
Three Legged Cross, Crux Easton. Possible long barrow referred to in C.9/10. Charters by names which are variants of Hythwalda Hlaew - Hildas/ Holdas Low. O.S.A. No. SU45 NW6. Ref: 1. Arch J.78 1921, p.91. Ref: 2. Arch J.81, 1924, p.58. Ref: 3. Arch J.83, 1926, p.133. Ref: 4. Andover District, an Account ..., 1928, (Crawford). Ref: 5. Archaeology in the Field, 1953, (Crawford), Fig. 36. Ref: 6. P.H.F.C., Vol. 14, 1938-40, pp.31, 347.     N.P. Act
SU 430 573
2101 19
Group C - Footpaths, Bridleways and Old Travelways
Ancient Road
The Oxdrove forms north west boundary of parish. A section of the prehistoric high way travelled by herdsmen between northern Europe and the grazing grounds of Salisbury Plain. In use adter the recession of ice and before the formation of the English Channel. Chalk downs to east and west contrast strongly with the heavy clay soil of the Oxdrove.     N. P. Act
SU 410 592
2101 10
Ancient Footpath
The Priests Way. Between Coombe and Litchfield by way of Netherton, Faccombe, Ashmansworth, Crux Easton and Woodcott. Once used by priests to service churches, and also perhaps by wandering friars. The track runs parallel to The Oxdrove and is much used by walkers. Ashmansworth Footpath Nos. 1, 2, 5, 11, 12, 13.     N.P. Act
SU 404 578
2101 22
A343, south of Three Legged Cross. An attractive stretch with over-arching trees, traditionally believed to have been dug out by Napoleonic prisoners circa 1815.     N.P. Act
SU 428 573
2101 16
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
St. James. Small church, with nave, chancel and bell tower. East wall built 1745. Mediaeval wall paintings uncovered 1900, chiefly on north wall of nave and around the Norman chancel arch. Fragments of Roman urns and pottery also discovered. In 1977, a Memorial Window designed by Lawrence Whistler, to the late Gerald Finzi and other great English composers was installed in the porch. O.S.A. No. SU45 NW15. Ref: 1. P.H.F.C., Vol. 4, 1898-1903, p.219. Ref: 2. V.C.H., Vol. 4, p.274. Ref: 3. Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), pp.83-4.     T. & C.P. Act
N.P. Act
SU 410 566
2101 01
 Previous page (Volume 2, Page 3) Next page (Volume 2, Page 5)