Hampshire Treasures

Volume 2 ( Basingstoke and Deane)

Page 177 - Mapledurwell and Up Nateley

 Previous page (Volume 2, Page 176) Next page (Volume 2, Page 179)

Mapledurwell, in 1086, was the sole estate in Hampshire of Hugh de Port although it was then a larger area, covering the modern parishes of Newnham, Up Nately and Andwell. At the beginning of the twelfth century Adam de Port was the Lord of Mapledurwell and founded the Priory of Andwell in the latter half of the reign of Henry I.

In 1172 Adam de Port was outlawed for treason and forfeited all his possessions. The king granted the manor to Alan Basset and it passed eventually to Hugh le Despenser in 1306. However he and his son, Hugh the Younger, were hung in 1326 by the forces of Queen Isabel. The manor eventually returned to the Despenser family in 1337 and although it was to remain with this family for two centuries it was intermittently forfeited, as when Thomas Despenser was put to death at Bristol in 1400 for taking part in a conspiracy to restore Richard II. In 1529 William Frost of Avington granted the manor to Corpus Christi College, Oxford, 'for the support to the end of time of a fellow of his own blood'. The lands remained in the hands of the college.

Up Nately was split from Mapledurwell in the early twelfth century, when Adam de Port granted it to the Cistercian Abbey of Tiron in France. Tiron sent a colony of monks to settle in this new estate, which was subsequently known as the manor of Andwell. As an alien priory with allegiance to Edward III's enemy it was sequestered although it was sold by the abbey of Tiron in 1391 to William of Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester, who bestowed it on the newly founded College of Winchester.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Mapledurwell and Up Nateley.

 Previous page (Volume 2, Page 176) Next page (Volume 2, Page 179)