Hampshire Treasures

Volume 2 ( Basingstoke and Deane)

Page 180 - Mapledurwell and Up Nateley

 Previous page (Volume 2, Page 179) Next page (Volume 2, Page 181)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Occupation Site
Bronze Age, Iron Age and Romano-British. Discovered 1930 in newly dug sandpit. Pottery found now in Basingstoke Museum. Area under pasture. O.S.A. No. SU75 SW4. Ref: 1. Willis Museum Archaeological Gazetteer. Ref: 2. P.H.F.C., Vol. 18, 1951-3, pp.122-26, 134.     SU 701 518
1812 09
Pit Dwelling (Alleged)
Circular depression surrounded by low bank, may be old chalk-pit. O.S.A. No. SU65 SE17. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 14, 1938-40, (Grinsell), p.348.     SU 689 521
1812 29
Group C - Footpaths, Bridleways and Old Travelways
Travel Way
Heather Row Lane, Up Nately to Nately Scures boundary. Thirtyfirst recorded road in Hampshire. Wooded for greater part with many varieties of wild flowers growing along its banks.     SU 704 516
1812 66
Footpath
From St. Stephen's Churchyard, Up Nately to Five Lanes End, Mapledurwell. An interesting walk with beautiful beech trees to be seen at Five Lanes End.     SU 700 519
1812 61
Old Travel Way
Course of old Roman road from Silchester to Longmoor Camp. Now extinct.     SU 687 503
1812 67
Bridle Way
Down Lane. From Five Lanes End to Mapledurwell Village. Beautiful views. Old beech trees, one of which contains within its trunk the 'Angels Pool' - ice cold water, alleged never to freeze or evaporate.     SU 696 502
1812 63
Drovers Path
Andwell Drove. Ancient path, originally ran from Priory Farm to Five Lanes End. Now goes from Burrough Close, Greywell Road to Hungry Lodge. A public right of way.     SU 691 522
1812 44
Footpath
From Upper House Farm, Up Nately via Webbs Farm to the Hatch. Much used in the past and at present in places. Beautiful views.     SU 697 516
1812 62
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Priory (Remains)
C.12
St. Marys. An alien priory of the Order of Tiron, dissolved 1391. All that remains of the Priory ruins are incorporated in the farmhouse and woodshed of Priory Farm and in the garden wall. Rectangular stone coffin now used as flower bed. O.S.A. No. SU65 SE18. Ref: V.C.H., Vol. 4, pp.176-8.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 687 525
1812 11A
 Previous page (Volume 2, Page 179) Next page (Volume 2, Page 181)