Hampshire Treasures

Volume 2 ( Basingstoke and Deane)

Page 302 - Steventon

 Previous page (Volume 2, Page 301) Next page (Volume 2, Page 303)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Post Norman
Ancient Site
Steventon. Site of deserted village. Hundred Basingstoke. Ref: V.C.H., Vol 1, p. 509, Vol. 4, p.p. 113-14, 171-4.     SU 551 472
1825 03
Mediaeval Shrunken Village
Field adjoining the schoolhouse, shows signs of disturbance and has been divided into three or four broad terraces, Terraces are evidence of shrinkage in comparatively modern times. O.S.A. No. SU54 NW18. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 8, (Willis), p.253.     SU 543 476
1825 03A
Period Unknown
Cropmark
Cocksford Down. Cropmark of possible 'Banjo' enclosure. O.S.A. No. SU54 SW4.     SU 539 443
1825 08
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Church
C.13
St. Nicholas. Nave, chancel and small enclosed west tower. Little altered since its first building circa 1200. Early C.19 wall monuments to the Austen family. Good C.17pew in the nave. O.S.A. No. SU54 NE18. Ref: 1. V.C.H., Vol. 4, p.173. Ref: 2. Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.611.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 551 472
1825 12
Cottage
C.18
Jasmin Cottage. 2 storeys. Flint and brick in bands. Thatched roof replaced by cedar shingles. 3-light casement windows. Formerly two cottages.     SU 545 480
1825 16
Cottages (2)
C.18
Nos. 1 and 2, Elm Tree Cottages. 2 storeys. Flint and brick in bands. Thatched roof replaced by cedar shingles. Casement windows.     SU 546 481
1825 15
House
C.19
Steventon House. Formerly the Old Rectory. 2 storeys and attic. Painted stucco. Hipped state roof. Sash windows. Modern entrance door and porch. Built circa 1826 by Edward Knight (third son of George Austen), who took the name of his benfactor Knight.     SU 548 480
1825 13
Group E - Street Patterns, Street Furniture and Open Spaces
Hand Pump
Site of Parsonage House. (Birthplace of Jane Austen whose father George Austen was Rector of Steventon for 40 years). Enclosed by iron railings and visible from Church Lane.     SU 549 478
1825 14
 Previous page (Volume 2, Page 301) Next page (Volume 2, Page 303)