Hampshire Treasures

Volume 2 ( Basingstoke and Deane)

Page 307 - Stratfield Turgis

 Previous page (Volume 2, Page 306) Next page (Volume 2, Page 309)

In 1086, the date of the Domesday Survey, the manor of Stratfield Turgis was held by Aluric from Hugh de Port. The overlordship continued with the de Ports and their descendants the St. Johns for a considerable time. The name of Stratfield Turgis derives from the Turgis family who held the manor of the de Ports and St. Johns from as early as 1270, although not much is known about the Turgis family. The descent of the manor is a little obscure, but in 1539 it returned to the St. John family who in 1551 were also given the title of Marquis of Winchester. In 1636 Sir William Pitt of Stratfield Saye bought the manor, which since that date has followed the same descent as Stratfield Saye. The old manor of Stratfield Turgis had a moat, but the present Turgic Court dates from the eighteenth century.

The thirteenth century Church of All Saints is a small flint structure; the bell turret was added in 1683 and provided with a single bell. Part of the former nave and chancel were destroyed by fire in 1791, and were rebuilt by local workmen in 1792. the rest of the church was restored in 1901.

Samuel Loggon, author of an extremely popular schoolbook called "M. Corderii Colloquia" and one-time master of the Holy Ghost School at Basingstoke, was Rector of Stratfield Sturgis from 1746 to 1748. When he died in 1778 he was at his own request buried in a sawpit in the churchyard of Stratfield Sturgis.

The local public house, The Wellington Arms, is indicative of the close connection of the village with the descendants of the Iron Duke, whose seat is at neighbouring Stratfield Saye. On the banks of the River Loddon is a fishery which dates back to the sixteenth or seventeenth century.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Stratfield Turgis.

 Previous page (Volume 2, Page 306) Next page (Volume 2, Page 309)