Hampshire Treasures

Volume 2 ( Basingstoke and Deane)

Page 319 - Tunworth

 Previous page (Volume 2, Page 317) Next page (Volume 2, Page 321)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group B - Archaeological Sites and Remains
Stone Age
Possible Neolithic Axe
North of Down Farm. Finished flint implement, rough and pear-shaped, dull bluish-grey in colour, found in area that is now under crop. O.S.A. No. SU64 NE2. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 9, 1920-4, (Ellaway and Willis), p.181.     SU 680 499
1828 03
Roman
Burial
North-west of Beechcroft Cottage. Skull and food vessel excavated many years ago. Site located in grassland. Skull now stored in Basingstoke Museum. O.S.A. No. SU64 NE4. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 15, 1941-3, p.245.     SU 679 486
1828 02
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Church
C.12
All Saints. Small flint church restored in 1854-5. Nave, chancel and bell-turret. Norman window in the nave and one C.13 window in the chancel. The churchyard is backed by the woods of Herriard Park. O.S.A. No. SU64 NE5. Ref: Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), pp.175-6.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 673 484
1828 01
Farmhouse
C.16/17
Manor Farmhouse. 2 storeys. Timber-framed with bracing and colourwashed brick infilling, mainly herringbone. Old tiled roof, hipped to right hand. Large kitchen garden to south-east of house. Cob walls on flint base and thatched coping.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 673 484
1828 04
Barn
C.16/17
Manor Farm. Eleven bays. Queen-post trusses. Weather-boarded. Half-hipped thatch roof carried down over extensions on each side. Two entrances.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 673 484
1828 04A
Cottage
C.17
Beechcroft. Single storey and attic. Timber- framed. Brick and plaster structure. Thatched roof.     SU 679 485
1828 07
Cottage
C.17/18
Northwest of Beechcroft. 2 storeys. Part brick, part timber-framed. Thatched roof. Modernised.     SU 679 485
1828 08
Cottage
C.18
Rose Cottage. Single storey and attic. Brick gable ends. Timber-framed with half-hipped thatched roof. Originally two cottages.     SU 675 485
1828 06
House
C.18
The Old Rectory. 2 storeys. Brick with brick dentil eaves. Half-hipped old tile roof. West front of two bays with tall, 6-light mullioned and transomed ground floor windows. Doorcase of panelled pilasters, brackets with acanthus carving and cornice hood.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 675 483
1828 05
 Previous page (Volume 2, Page 317) Next page (Volume 2, Page 321)