Hampshire Treasures

Volume 3 ( Hart and Rushmoor)

Page 13 - Crondall

 Previous page (Volume 3, Page 12) Next page (Volume 3, Page 14)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Earthwork
Barley Pound. Consists of a large ring-motte with baileys to the south and north west, and a further enclosure to the north. One of the best examples in the county of a ring and bailey fortress of probably C.12 construction. Reputed headquarters of C.13 outlaw and highwayman Adam de Gurdon. O.S.A. No. SU74 NE8. Ref: 1. Field Archaeology as Illustrated by Hampshire, (Williams-Freeman), 1915, pp.306-7. Ref: 2. Monastery and Manor, (Butterfield), pp.5, 6, 11, 29, 30, 88. Ref: 3. V.C.H., Vol. 1, p.305, Vol. 4, p.5.     S.A.M. No. 23
SU 796 466
2002 62
Occupation Site (Possible)
Tadpole Lane, Ewshot. Along south bank of lane and in adjoining field, fire-blackened and calcined flints have been found at approximate depth of in 1 - 2 ft. May be pot-boilers.     SU 817 503
2002 149
Beacon (Site)
Beacon Hill, 3 miles northeast of Crondall. Site shown on map of 1595. Extensive views gained from the summit. O.S.A. No. SU85 SW7. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 10, 1926-30, p.252.     SU 823 503
2002 169
Group C - Footpaths, Bridleways and Old Travelways
Old Travel Way
Harrow Way. Along southern boundary of the parish. Ancient ridgeway road, running west-east.     SU 789 465
2002 109
Old Travel Way
The Maulth Way. Old drove road from Winchester and the west to London. Crosses parish from Well to Crookham.     SU 783 483
2002 110
Old Travel Way
Bridle Way, Ewshot. Very old bridleway and accommodation road.     SU 818 498
2002 111
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Church
C.12
All Saints. Built circa 1150 on site of Saxon church. Mentioned in Domesday survey . In Norman style, with vaulted chancel of two bays, a central tower with shallow transepts, nave of three bays and north porch. Central tower removed in 1657 after giving great concern for many years. New tower erected on north end of chancel in 1659 (cost 428). C.19 restorations, C.20 alterations. Bells date from 1543. O.S.A. No. SU74 NE1. Ref: 1. Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), pp.187-8. Ref: 2. V.C.H., Vol. 4, p.10. Ref: 3. Monastery and Manor, (Butterfield).     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 795 485
2002 84
 Previous page (Volume 3, Page 12) Next page (Volume 3, Page 14)