Hampshire Treasures

Volume 3 ( Hart and Rushmoor)

Page 21 - Crondall

 Previous page (Volume 3, Page 20) Next page (Volume 3, Page 22)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.19
Townsend House and Hilliers, Dippenhall Street. Formerly one house. Stuccoed structure. Slate roof. 2 storeys. 2-storey projecting central section. Large garden to north-east.     C.A.
SU 800 483
2002 37
Church
C.19
Methodist Church, Pankridge Street. Brick structure. Built 1879. Formerly the Bible Christians' Meeting House.     C.A.
SU 797 492
2002 86
Building
C.19
Crondall County Primary School. Brick structure with modern prefabricated timber classroom constructed 1 973. Slate roof. Sash and casement windows. Several additions.     SU 795 485
2002 155
Building
C.19
Crondall Lodge, Church Street. 2 storeys and attic. Brick structure. Tiled roof. Sash windows. Open porch supported by brick pillars forming a balcony. Built on the site of old silk factory. Now a Childrens Home.     C.A.
SU 794 485
2002 163
Buildings
C.19
Wimble Hill Hospital, Wimble Hill. 2 storeys, with attics. Brick with stucco front. Slate roof. Wood- framed sash windows. Small chapel; brick-built with slate roof, stone mullions and leaded light windows. Originally a Poor Law Orphanage for two hundred children. Built 1855-6 to replace a building in Aldershot taken over as an army hospital in the Crimea War. Now being converted to housing.     SU 801 467
2002 70
Building
C.19
Waterworks, Mill Lane. Established on site of old water mill 1898. First well was sunk to a depth of 170 ft with subsequent 12 ins bore to a further 100 ft. In 1905 a further well of 5 ft bore was sunk to a depth of 450 ft. The old engine house was dismantled in the 1960s and a new pump house was built on the site. In 1773 three grist mills worked on site, under one roof. Ref: V.C.H., Vol. 4, p.8     SU 785 502
2002 141
Farmhouse
C.19
Home Farmhouse, Itchel. Brick structure. Old tiled roof. Built 1806.     SU 783 492
2002 50
House
C.19
Little Orchard, School Lane, Ewshot. Brick and flint structure. Former school room and school house built 1841 at the instigation of 'Parson White' of Crondall. Ref: Ordained in Powder, (Butterfield), pp.27, 30, 32, 45, 49.     SU 816 499
2002 76
Church
C.19
St. Mary, Ewshot. Brown stone structure. Nave, chancel and bellcote. Lancets and plate tracery. Built 1872 after creation of new parish from parts of Crondall and Crookham-cum-Ewshot. Ref: 1. Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.216. Ref: 2. Ordained in Powder, (Butterfield), pp.29, 32, 43.     SU 816 498
2002 74
 Previous page (Volume 3, Page 20) Next page (Volume 3, Page 22)