Hampshire Treasures

Volume 3 ( Hart and Rushmoor)

Page 84 - Hartley Wintney

 Previous page (Volume 3, Page 83) Next page (Volume 3, Page 85)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Inn
C.19
The Cricketers Inn. 2 storeys. Red brick structure. Slate roof. Sash windows. Four chimneys. Modernised. Two classical mid C.19 inn porches.     C.A.
SU 768 568
2007 124
House
C.19
The White House. 2 storeys. Whitened rendering. Square, flat-pitched, hipped slate roof. Plain eaves. 2-fight casement windows with marginal glazing. Formerly the schoolmaster's house for the adjoining school.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 767 566
2007 181
Mansion
C.19
Elvetharn Hall. Built 1859-62 in high Victorian Gothic style. Red brick with stone dressings, bands and decoration in black brick. Hipped and mansard roofs with gables and dormers. Entrance front dominated by tall tower. Porch set behind a porte-cochere. Tower with mansard roof, dormers and metal finials. Tall brick chimneys. Garden front of 2 storeys. Brick pilasters with stone finials between mullioned and transom windows. O.S.A. No. SU75 NE4. Ref: 1. Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), pp.210-11. Ref: 2. The Old Village of Hartley Wintney, 1970, (Gorsky), pp. 52, 53, 55. Ref: 3. Lost Villages of England, (Beresford), p.353. Ref: 4. Elvetham, (1853 reprinting of 1591 pamphlet by John Wolfe). Ref: 5. V.C.H., Vol. 4, p.74.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 781 563
2007 139
Building
C.19
Phoenix Stores, Phoenix Green. Building is a store and post office with bakery attached at rear. Bakery shop from 1823-1848. Structure of narrow brick. Hipped blue slate roof. Large pane sash windows. Porch with flat canopy on pillars.     SU 757 560
2007 85
Building
C.19
The Retort House of Hartley Wintney gasworks is on west side of Hare's Lane. Works closed 1909 when the supply came in from Aldershot. Retort House, altered, but retaining its chimney stack, is now occupied by a cabinet maker. Ref: Hampshire Industrial Archaeology; A Guide, (Ellis), p.21.     SU 769 575
2007 192
House
C.19
Phoenix House. A Victorian villa of circa 1859. Brick structure. Much enlarged at the back. Originally named Holly Lodge.     SU 758 559
2007 172
House
C.19
Whitewater House, Dipley. Built circa 1840. Red brick, mixed courses of headers and stretchers. Hipped blue slate roof with plain chimneys. Windows with wooden astragals and flat brick arches. Later addition at rear. Ref: Tithe Map, 1843.     SU 742 574
2007 61
 Previous page (Volume 3, Page 83) Next page (Volume 3, Page 85)