Hampshire Treasures

Volume 3 ( Hart and Rushmoor)

Page 123 - Odiham

 Previous page (Volume 3, Page 122) Next page (Volume 3, Page 125)

The Domesday survey of 1086 records that Odiham was a Royal Manor after the conquest, and this historic town still retains numerous attractive period houses and cottages, many half-timbered, some with overhanging upper storeys.

Odiham parish includes the village of North Warnborough, where there are the remains of a twelfth/thirteenth century castle built by King John, which is now protected as an Ancient Monument. Noteworthy buildings include the Priory; an early eighteenth century house, which contains the remains of a fifteenth century stone hall; and the George Hotel, first licensed in 1540 and formerly used as a courtroom. There are also Almshouses established in 1623 by Sir Edward More, and the parish church of All Saints with twelfth/thirteenth century architectural features still in evidence, whilst against the north side of the churchyard there are the early modern whipping post and stocks.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Odiham.

 Previous page (Volume 3, Page 122) Next page (Volume 3, Page 125)