Hampshire Treasures

Volume 3 ( Hart and Rushmoor)

Page 128 - Odiham

 Previous page (Volume 3, Page 127) Next page (Volume 3, Page 129)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Park (Site)
Odiham Park. First mentioned 1216. Perimeter traced as a continuous line of hedgerows and field boundaries with lengths of the original pale surviving on the eastern side. Interior of the park is arable fields. O.S.A. No. SU75 SW8. Ref: 1. V.C.H., Vol. 4, p.90. Ref: 2. Archaeology in the Field, 1953, pp.189, 191, 196.     SU 739 523
2013 124
Period Unknown
Flint Working Siie
Odiham Airfield. Area centred on grid reference. O.S.A. No. SU74 NW1. Ref: Willis Museum Archaeological Gazetteer.     SU 739 492
2013 131
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Castle (Remains)
C.13
Odiham Castle or King Johns Castle. Ruined keep of 3 storeys. Stone and flint walls. One of the few octagonal shaped keeps in the country. Surrounded by moat. Old canal adjoining. O.S.A. No. SU75 SW11. Ref: 1. Castles of Great Britain, 1953, pp.103-4. Ref: 2. Field Archaeology as Illustrated by Hampshire, 1915, pp.67-9, 388. Ref: 3. Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.360.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
S.A.M. No. 55
SU 724 518
2013 97
Inn
C.13/14
The Kings Arms. No. 65, High Street. 3 storeys. Red brick, first floor tile-hung. Hipped old tiled roof. Half-timbered construction. Recessed porch. Sign showing King Johns Arms.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 741 510
2013 154
House
C.14
Old Church House, Church Street. Timber-framed building of 2-bay hall construction. Gabled at north end. 2-light transomed window in north wall with Cusped Ogee head. Similar one in east wall. Internal timber framing. Original roof construction with braced collar beam.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 739 510
2013 210
Cottage
C.15
Thatch Cottage, The Street, North Warnborough. Single storey and attic. Timber-framed cruck structure with colourwashed brick infilling. Thatched roof. Irregular casement windows. Right hand gable end shows a cruck. Ref: Folk Life, Vol. 9, 1971, p.129.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 729 512
2013 119
Farm House
C.15/16
Hillside Farm. 2 storeys and attic. Red brick. Old tiled roof. Two symmetrical extensions. Three dormer windows. Interior tudor panelling.     SU 754 506
2013 173
 Previous page (Volume 3, Page 127) Next page (Volume 3, Page 129)